[cvsnt] Re: Difference between tag and branch without commits?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Aug 25 20:44:03 BST 2005

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 14:11:53 -0300, Gerhard Fiedler
<lists at connectionbrazil.com> wrote:

>is there a difference (performance, storage) between a simple tag and a
>branch tag to which I don't commit anything?

Forgot this question...
AFAICT there is no difference, the work the CVS server has to do is
add a few text lines at the beginning of the corresponding RCS file
and this is the same no matter how the tag is created. A branch tag
and a regular tag differ only in the revision number written into the
RCS file, branch tag revisions and in .0, which signifies them as
branches. Such tags can be imagined as moving along development
commits so that checking out on this tag always retrieves the latest
revision on that branch.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)