[cvsnt] BUG: Local lock server not started when using :local: with network drive

Torsten Martinsen torsten at tiscali.dk
Sat Aug 27 22:38:47 BST 2005

One TortoiseCVS user reported a problem when using :local: where the
repository is on a network drive (yes, I also advise users to not use
network drives, but they tend to do it anyway). Apparently, the lock
server is not started in this case; only if the lock server is already
running will the operation succeed. I have reproduced this using
2.5.02.2064.

To reproduce: Ensure that lock server is not running and then do

C:>set CVSROOT=:local://tmahome/c/rep
C:>cvs -N checkout srv
cvs checkout: connect to 127.0.0.1(127.0.0.1):2402 failed: No connection
could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
cvs [checkout aborted]: Couldn't connect to lock server

C:>set CVSROOT=:local:/mytest/rep
C:>cvs -N checkout srv
cvs checkout: Updating srv
U srv/New Text Document.txt
U srv/improved.txt
U srv/old.txt

[Lock server is now running and original command can be run successfully]

C:>rd /s/q srv
C:>set CVSROOT=:local://tmahome/c/rep
C:>cvs -N checkout srv
cvs checkout: Updating srv