[cvsnt] Can't connect Eclipse to CVSNT via SSH- help!

Charles Oliva cjoliva at indyweb.us
Wed Aug 31 04:44:26 BST 2005

I've been fighting this problem for too long now.  Hopefully, someone
can provide some insight.  I'm trying to setup an encrypted connection
between Eclipse and a CVSNT server.

Client: Eclipse 3.0.2 (actually IBM RAD v6) on Windows 2000.

Server: CVSNT v2.0.58d on Windows 2003 with Cygwin/SSH (tried CVSNT
2.5.01 previously with the same results).  Under the Compatibility tab,
I have all three compatibility options selected for generic non-cvsnt
client.

Symptoms: I can connect to the server via SSH from the command line.
However, when I try to setup a repository connection from Eclipse/RAD
using the extssh option, it returns the following message:

    Error validating location: "Unknown response received from cvs server: "

Thoughts?  Alternatives?  Is Putty a better solution than Cygwin?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.