[cvsnt] Re: Merging branches with mergepoints

Glen Starrett glen at starretthome.net
Fri Dec 2 17:19:03 GMT 2005

Detlef Marschall wrote:
> A branch is split from the HEAD --> B1. We made changes in that branch and
> merging them to the HEAD "cvs up -jB1". For every merge we become a
> mergepoint in the HEAD, that's ok.
>
> Later we split another branch from HEAD --> B2. All mergepoints from branch
> B1 are lost in branch B2. In my opinion is this a bug. When we merge from
> branch B1 to branch B2 cvs will merge all changes from the start of B1 until
> the last revision in the Branch B1 instead only the last changes.

So are you saying this happens with every B1 -> B2 merge, or just the
first?  It sounds like you're going a little convoluted -- try merging
in your changes to HEAD then restart a B1a and B2a branches at the same
point and go from there with your B2 -> B1 -> Head merging, it probably
straighten out the common ancestor issue you're having (assuming that is
indeed the problem).

Short of actually reproducing what you're taking about, I think that
should help.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett