[cvsnt] Re: Setting up login and security

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Dec 3 12:32:28 GMT 2005

On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 19:06:50 +0800, Kwong Thomas
<thokwong2001 at gmail.com> wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>I am new to cvs.  I have just setup my first CVSNT server, and I am
>able to connect to it with wincvs through protocol sspi (as
>demonstrated in  the wincvsnt flash tour)
>
>However,  no password or login is needed to connect to the server.
Yes, it *is* required! But sspi uses the login you entered when you
started your XP workstation. This is the whole idea with sspi, to use
the already existing Windows credentials....

>How can I setup login and security for protocol pserver ?  and if
>pserver security is setup, is it possible that some other people can
>still connect to it without password through other protocal like sspi
>?

I don't think that you should allow pserver if you are concerned with
security. It is much better to go for sserver instead. It works the
same way as pserver concerning setting upp CVS accounts but it uses an
encrypted communications channel when working.

The protocols you allow are set in the CVSNT control panel in the
"Plugins" tab. Just select the protocols you don't want and click the
Configure button. Then you can enable or disable this protocol.

I have a webpage describing how to successfully installing a CVSNT
server of the latest flavour. You can find it here:
http://web.telia.com/~u86216177/InstallCVSNT25.html

Since you already have installed the server you can skip the install
part and go directly to the user account setup part. I think it
describes exactly what you are asking for.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)