[cvsnt] Re: Merging branches with mergepoints

Detlef Marschall ich.ich at gmx.ch
Sat Dec 3 12:45:22 GMT 2005

Am 03.12.2005 schrieb Tony Hoyle:

> The problem is created by the fact that B2 has the wrong base.
>
> If you're promoting HEAD->B1->B2 then B2 should be based on B1 (or
> possibly the same revision of HEAD).  By creating B2 out of a different
> revision there is no possible way of retionalising it without an
> existing mergepoint.
>
> You've got the situation:
>
> 1.3 -> B1 + changes (eg. 1.3.2.5)
> 1.8 -> B2 + changes (eg 1.8.2.21)

But revision 1.8 contain all merged changes from branch B1. From a
logical point of view is there no difference when merging B1 -> HEAD or
B1 -> B2, if B2 was split from revision "1.8" or later. In B2 are always
all merged changes from B1, right?

> The 'common ancestor' of both branches is 1.3, so the only possible (and
> logical) merge of B1->B2 is the entireity of B1 onto B2.  Once a
> mergepoint is there it fixes this as it knows where the first merge was.

Sorry, I disagree. From the logical point of view is in revision "1.8"
all changes from B1. I'm understand that this is hard to program but
that's a technical problem, not a logical.

Please excuse my poor english, it's very hard for me.

bye
Detlef