[cvsnt] Re: timezone to use with update -D option?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Dec 6 21:37:13 GMT 2005

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
> It seems that update -D requires local time rather than UTC. I suspect it's
> the client's local time, but haven't had a chance yet to test this.

I'm not sure.. the date parser is inherited from the old cvs (and
predates even that I think).

> This seems to be the only place in cvsnt where local time is used. I think
> as such it would be worth it to mention this in the manual. (I'm not sure,
> but probably I'm not the only one surprised by this.) Since the command
> reference in the wiki is an immutable page, I couldn't add any comment
> there either.

Anyone can request write access to the wiki... it's locked down so I
don't have to worry about spambots attacking it.

> Maybe this is the result of having a system developed on the Greenwich
> meridian... it might have been safer to put the UTC meridian somewhere in
> the Pacific :)

/*
**  Originally written by Steven M. Bellovin <smb at research.att.com> while
**  at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.  Later tweaked by
**  a couple of people on Usenet.  Completely overhauled by Rich $alz
**  <rsalz at bbn.com> and Jim Berets <jberets at bbn.com> in August, 1990;
**
**  This grammar has 10 shift/reduce conflicts.
**
**  This code is in the public domain and has no copyright.
*/

Not my fault!! :)