[cvsnt] Re: cannot pass %{sVv} in logInfo completely

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Tue Dec 13 16:16:54 GMT 2005

Bo Berglund wrote:

> You have failed to notice that the loginfo script is called once for
> *every* folder in the committed tree. That is to say that CVS processes
> *one* folder at a time on the server even though you are recursing down
> the folder tree on the client.

So you are saying that the cvsnt manual is wrong here? From the manual:

"loginfo: The specified program is called when the commit is complete. It
receives the log message and some additional information and can store the
log message in a file, or mail it to appropriate persons, or maybe post it
to a local newsgroup, or... Your imagination is the limit!"

To me, it seems pretty unambiguous about the loginfo being called "when the
commit is complete" -- which I interpret as "the commit command execution,
including all files that this command commits," being complete.

> This was one of the main headaches when I developed CVSMailer so that I
> could get one single email on a commit no matter how many folders the
> commit processed.

Would the postcommand file a better candidate for calling the mailer? Or
does it also work on a directory-by-directory basis rather than a
command-by-command basis? The manual (FWIW) says:

"postcommand: The specified program is called when the command is complete,
and all locks have been released from the repository prior to returning to
the user. This is useful to maintain checked-out copies of repositories and
to perform cvs actions after a commit."

Gerhard