[cvsnt] cvs edit and possibly forcing different revision

Steve Hobbs shobbs at diablo-technologies.com
Thu Dec 15 19:03:27 GMT 2005

I hope this is a simple question to answer.

We have a Stable Tag which people check out the code with. This is a
non-branch tag.

> cvs update -r Stable <files>

Obviously the users cannot check back into this tag, (because it is a
non-branch tag).

What I would like to do is when users type:
> cvs edit <file>

Actually do the equivalent of:
> cvs update -A <file>
> cvs edit <file>

I know I can do this with a client side script, is this at all possible
that this can be done on the server side?

BTW, we are using strict locking and if you type "cvs edit" on a file
updated to Stable then it kindly locks the Stable tag which you can't
check back into!

We also actually use a Branch Tag, e.g. PROJ_Branch with a non-branch
Stable tag, e.g. PROJ_Stable.

I want to do the same as above... Is this also possible?

Any pointers gratefully received...

Steve Hobbs
Diablo Technologies Inc.

PS Please ignore the HTML version of this post..., sorry...