[cvsnt] Re: cvs edit and possibly forcing different revision

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Sat Dec 17 18:05:10 GMT 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> It's really hard for the client to tell the difference between a branch
> and a tag..

Yes, that was one of the first "oops" experiences when I started to use
cvs. For me, tags and branches are so fundamentally different that I was
surprised to see them handled in such a confusingly similar way (in the
UI).

> (edit is still almost totally client-side, although it's been extended a
> lot to allow things like reserved edits).  Ideally an edit on a sticky
> tag would be just straight denied..

So would my idea of running a script in precommand work? Does precommand
see the edit at all? Does it see the branches for all edited files? That's
probably a bit more complex than I thought initially, because it's quite
possible to try to edit a number of files that are on different branches,
all in one edit command...

Gerhard