[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT server runs slowly when update from 2.0.41a to 2.5.03

Glen Starrett glen at starretthome.net
Thu Dec 22 14:31:33 GMT 2005

Guofeng Zhang wrote:
> After the upgrade operation, we find that we will spend half a hour or
> more to commit or update one file. Often the winCVS client stuck.
>
> Can anyone tell me the reason or if the upgrade is not done properly? (I
> uninstall the old version, and install the new one). Can I do the
> downgrade to the old version safely?

You should be able to downgrade without trouble.  I would suspect the
problem is something other than the version itself, as others haven't
reports that kind of major performance issue.

Also, your current version of CVSNT is quite old so you should consider
upgrading when you can.  Don't just give up if this doesn't work the
first time -- seek the real problem (e.g. are you using AV software with
real-time scanning on that server?).

Always back up your RCS files before upgrading (in addition to your
normal backup regimen).  It's the safest way to know, without any doubt
whatsoever, that your code is safe and secure.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett