[cvsnt] CVS tries connecting to localhost, want remote

Dick Jackson dick at d-jackson.com
Tue Feb 1 18:53:46 GMT 2005

Hi,

I do hope someone can help me out with this, I'm quite stumped and just a little
out of my depth.

My WinCVS had been working fine with connection to a remote server for a long
time, then here's what I did:

- I installed the newer WinCVS 1.3.20.3 Beta 20 Full (with CVSNT server, which I
didn't really need)
- I got the problem as described below which looked like WinCVS was trying to
talk to the local CVSNT
- I uninstalled WinCVS and CVSNT
- I reinstalled WinCVS (Bare)
- I still get this problem:

I do Admin:Login (CVSROOT checked or unchecked, same result) (and doing this at
a command prompt gives the same result):

=====
cvs login
Logging in to :pserver:djackson@<myCVSserver>:2401:/jnj

***** CVS exited normally with code 0 *****
=====

Looks good, but when I do anything else with my files...

=====
cvs -n update -P add_colorbar.pro (in directory C:\JJ\toolkit\)
cvs server: connect to 127.0.0.1(127.0.0.1):2402 failed: No connection could be
made because the target machine actively refused it.

***** CVS exited normally with code 1 *****
=====

Even if I do this, the same thing happens:

=====
cvs -n -d :pserver:djackson:<password>@<myCVSserver>:2401:/jnj update -P
add_colorbar.pro
cvs server: connect to 127.0.0.1(127.0.0.1):2402 failed: No connection could be
made because the target machine actively refused it.
=====

So the problem is that I don't want to be connecting to 127.0.0.1 (localhost) at
all, but rather <myCVSserver> which I had logged into!

I'll also mention that the local and remote server machines have always been
behind a router (with port 2401 open through firewall, but not 2402), and that
hasn't been a problem before.

As I mentioned, I've tried uninstalling and throwing away all settings files in
C:\Program Files\GNU\WinCVS 1.3. I've even fumbled around with regedt32, but
found nothing that looked right.

Help! Anyone! Please! :-)

Cheers,
--
-Dick

Dick Jackson                   /            dick at d-jackson.com
D-Jackson Software Consulting /       http://www.d-jackson.com
Calgary, Alberta, Canada     / +1-403-242-7398 / Fax: 241-7392