[cvsnt] Problem using cvsnt and gssapi

andreas_bergen at delmia.de andreas_bergen at delmia.de
Wed Feb 2 09:10:11 GMT 2005

Dear all,

we have a Linux (RH-Fedora Core 2) Server authenticating to Active
Directory using Kerberos 5 and winbind. I've setup cvs (cvs-1.11.18 from
cvshome.org) to use the :gserver:-protocol for
GSSAPI-kerberos5-authentication which works perfectly well from other
linux-machines. SSH(!)-GSSAPI-authentication also works from
Windows-machines using the newest putty from css-security.com without
providing a password simply using the windows-credentials. Is there a way
to do Single Sign On (SSO) from Windows-Machines to our CVS-Server? If
possible I'd like to use CVSNT with the :gserver:-protocol but other
SSO-solutions are very welcome. I'd be important though that no cleartext
password be transferred over the network and users don't have their
password stored in nearly-cleartext on their computer as default
:pserver:-login does.

I've been trying to use the newest cvsnt using gserver-authentication and
I always got the error-message
GSSAPI authentication failed: The specified target is unknown or
unreachable

A thread in the internet (
http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2004-February/010551.html and
http://www.cvsnt.org/pipermail/cvsnt/2003-July/007684.html) says that
gserver-authentication isn't under active development. Is this still the
case? Can you point me to a working version (1.11.1.3 ?) or another
windows-gssapi-capable cvs? I'm I doing something wrong?

Are there other solutions?

Any help is very greatly appreciated,
Yours
  Andreas Bergen