[cvsnt] Re: commit followed by a tag

Matt Schuckmann matthew_schuckmann at amat.com
Sat Feb 5 01:24:27 GMT 2005

Ok your starting to make a little sense now.
One thing that I want to clarify is when you say bug you mean bug fix as in
this revision of the file fixes this bug, right?
And your saying that the bug maybe fixed on multiple branches of the same
file and tags can't express that, right?

Ok sounds like a feature that is a start in the right direction but still
needs some work.
The fact that you can't apply a bug id after a commit is done is a bit of a
draw back.
The fact that you can't apply more than 1 bug id to a revision is a anther
drawback I can easily envision 2 bug fixes relying on the same
file/revision.
The fact that you apparently can't remove a bug id is also a problem.
The fact that the same bug id can be on several revisions of the trunk/same
branch doesn't make much sense.

It still doesn't work for my senario, i.e. I want to create a Change Set
that defines a fix or feature that a build manager can use to create a new
build. If a bug id is on multiple revisions of the same file how does the
tool (or the build manager) know what version to take. It still sounds like
I want to use tags which brings me back to the point about applying a tag at
commit.

Am I missing something here.

Thanks
Matt S.