[cvsnt] Re: Incompatibility with "plain" CVS server?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Sun Feb 6 14:16:07 GMT 2005

Johan Holmberg wrote:
> - Has CVSNT *not* made any changes to the RCS file format?
>   Not even when running with CVSNT on both client and server?

The CVSNT server has made many extensions to the format.  The client
never needs to know this though, since the clients never deal directly
with RCS.

> - What role does the "_H_" play in CVSNT?

It's used mostly server-side to handle directory versioning... it exists
for a fraction of a second between two operations (predirectory and
directory callbacks).  The client also uses it in some circumstances but
for much less.  It does not exist on files and is never written to the
RCS files, and is never sent over the protocol.

>   It is obviously there in the source (since 2.0.43), but I have not
>   understood what role it plays. And in some way it has found its way
>   into our archives.

I really don't know.  The only thing that can add a tag really is cvs
tag, which is validated no both client and server sides (and maybe
import).  Clearly hand-editing the RCS files could do it.

TOny