[cvsnt] Re: Keyword Expansion

John De Lello JohnD at DelWare.com
Tue Feb 8 02:07:53 GMT 2005

Maybe I'm approaching this wrong. Here's what I am trying to do. I am
locally storing in my cvs repo a 3rd party open source php system that I am
customizing for my company. However, they have a header on every file that
has the current version and the person checking it in. I need to preserve
that information when I commit those files into my repository, otherwise
when I grab a new version from the sourceforge CVS and run a diff, it looks
like I've changed every single file since the files now all have my name
from when I checked them into my repository.

I don't want CVS to modify the keywords when I import or when I commit
files. Is there a way to do that for an entire module?

Thanks
JD

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Hoyle [mailto:tmh at nodomain.org]
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 8:59 PM
To: cvsnt at cvsnt.org
Subject: [cvsnt] Re: Keyword Expansion

John De Lello wrote:
> I'm a little confused. I checked out CVSROOT, modified my cvswrappers file
> to include:
>
> *.php -k 'b'
>
> Comitted the file, re-started the CVS service. Checked in a PHP file and
I'm
> still getting keyword expansion. Am I missing something?

Yes.  The wrappers only affect add/import.

To change the expansion of an existing file you do:

cvs update -kb foo.php
cvs commit -fm "Change expansion" foo.php

(If you're using an older server this might not work - the alternate
method is to use

cvs admin -kb foo.php

however this isn't versioned and will affect the older versions,
possibly making them unreadable).

You probably don't want to make a php file binary though... it'll cause
all sorts of issues like line endings plus you won't be able to merge it.