[cvsnt] Re: Keyword Expansion

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Feb 8 20:05:41 GMT 2005

Trevor Leybourne wrote:
> Tony,
>
> I am wondering if I am missing something. You say that storing a PHP
> file as Binary will cause problems. Why? If it is being stored as binary
> is it not being stored byte-for-byte with no translation of any bytes?
> Does this have any effect on other file types?

Binary files are nonmergable, which means you can't realistically do
parallel development on them, or use branches.   Also they don't
translate line endings...  editing your file on Windows then checking
out on Unix will quite possibly cause the parser to barf on all the CRLF
pairs.

You should really only use binary for files that really are binary -
executables, graphics etc. where the nonmergablility is unavoidable.