[cvsnt] Re: Status?: rename support

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Thu Feb 10 14:46:51 GMT 2005

In order to reorganize your server it can be done much mor radically and without
needing any versioning. In fact over the week-end I did this at our company.
What you need to do is this:
1) Shut down the CVSNT server service so noone can access it while you work.
2) Move the repository folders around with their contents until you are
   satisfied with the resulting structure
3) Start the CVSNT service again.

What I did was to collect the contents of a number of separate repositories
into an umbrella repository such that I could start using the virtual modules
system to define the project modules. So all checkouts of modules from the
old repositories are now invalid, but the data have moved so it is a simple
task even to reconnect the existing sandboxes by editing the CVS metadata
in each sandbox. I created a small command line program to do just that.
After this has run the existing sandboxes again work fine against the server.

Notice that *all* revision data are retained this way since the RCS files
have been moved.

Of course any exsiting admin files in the various old repositories are no
longer valid, the functions from these must be inserted in the files in the
umbrella repository.

The only thing I can think of that you lose with this approach is the ability
to use the cvs history command since this uses data in the CVSROOT/history file,
which of course was not part of my move.

/Bo