[cvsnt] Possible bug with mergepoints

John Hall john-news2 at cambridgetechgroup.com
Fri Feb 18 16:04:33 GMT 2005

Tony,

I think I've found a slightly obscure bug when merging files that have been
added on a branch. This is with 2.0.58d on both the client and the server.

I created a file on a branch, "test-branch", then switched back to the
trunk. Then typed:

> cvs up -j test-branch
> cvs up
> cvs com

Doing the second 'cvs up' seems to have the effect of clearing the
mergepoint field for that file, and it is not recorded on the server. If the
straight 'cvs up' is not done, then the mergepoint (in this case 1.1.2.1) is
stored against version 1.2 of the file. If you are merging changes to an
existing file, a 'cvs up' like this does not cause any problems - it is only
in the case of a newly created file on the branch.

Regards,
John