[cvsnt] performence problem

Stéphane Nicoll Stephane.Nicoll at bsb.com
Thu Feb 24 07:26:20 GMT 2005

From: John Peacock <jpeacock at rowman.com>

> Try using sspi instead of pserver

OK, I'll try.

> Is the server part of an NT domain or an Active Directory Tree?

Yes. That's once again very interesting and I'll try that (but still %idle time of the cvsnt temp disk = 0%, I suspect network is not the bottleneck anyway, right?)

> Have you scanned the server for viruses/worms/spyware?

The admin guys already maked sure this was done.

> Was the performance always this bad or has it gotten worse

Well... Actually, they ran CVSNT 2.0.4 on a far less powerfull machine before and they're claiming it was faster on that machine! Honestly, I don't get it. The only difference is that they were using the shitty VSS floating tag previsouly (they're coming from the VSS world so they were using CVS that way ... Yes, I know, baaaaaaaaaaaad). Is update on the HEAD slower?

> Consider going to a Linux server (also running CVSNT) at least as a test.

Yup, I am planning that too. Just waiting to have some time allocated on those tasks. Actually, this machin should have been installed on linux in a first place. Any distribution to recommend for those tasks (web server, cvsnt)

I'll let you know the results.

Thanks!!

Stéphane