[cvsnt] Re: Possible bug with mergepoints

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Feb 24 13:35:09 GMT 2005

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
> Now I /have/ to run update after the merge, before the commit. But Tony
> said that "update after merge isn't guaranteed to keep mergepoints in any
> situation". What am I missing here? How does this work?

Often merging isn't done onto an active branch... you may merge
development to release for example.  If you're in a situation where you
have to do a large merge into an active tree make sure your users are
aware of this and don't commit for a couple of minutes (or do it at the
end of the day when the tree is quiet).

Really there isn't a way around that - if you can't merge against a
relatively static tree then the results are going to be quite
unpredictable.  You can only record a mergepoint for the absolute result
of a merge... if something changes about the file when you update it's
no longer valid to call it a mergepoint as it is no longer simply the
result of the merge.