[cvsnt] An unexpected error occurred during logon

Adrian Herscu bmf1972 at axentra.net
Sun Jan 2 19:30:02 GMT 2005

Hi all,

Using CVSNT version 2.0.58d.

While trying to cvs login as an NT user (even as Administrator)
with a wrong password the login fails as expected.

While trying to cvs login as an NT user (even as Administrator)
with the right password the login apparently succeeds, and the
following event is logged to the system security log.

Moreover, trying to perform some cvs operation, such as
checkout, commit, etc., fails with this message:

cvs [checkout aborted]: cvs [server aborted]: Repository
directory E:/cvsrepo/<my repo> does not exist: Permission denied

and the same event is logged to the system security log.

1) Event data
Event ID: 537
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Logon Failure:
  	Reason:		An unexpected error occurred during logon
  	User Name:
  	Domain:
  	Logon Type:	3
  	Logon Process:	CVSNT
  	Authentication Package:	Negotiate
  	Workstation Name:	-

2) cvsservice.exe process is configured to run under LocalSystem
account (and the service is allowed to interact with desktop)
and the following *disabled* privileges showup in the process
explorer:
SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege
SeBackupPrivilege
SeCreateTokenPrivilege
SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege
SeLoadDriverPrivilege
SeRestorePrivilege
SeSecurityPrivilege
SeShutDownPrivilege
SeSystemEnvironmentPrivilege
SeSystemtimePrivilege
SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege
SeUndockPrivilege

3) CVS repository allows full control to Administrators and
SYSTEM accounts.

4) CVS temporary directory allows full control to Everyone.

5) The NT users have the following rights:
Access this computer from the network
Log on locally
Log on as batch job

NOTE: I have used version 2.0.41a and it worked correctly.
Suddenly, after few MS patches, it found that I cannot
add/commit/checkout files and tried to upgrade to version
2.0.58d, which did not solve the problem. As far as I know to
this moment, everything else works as usual.

Thanks for your time,
Adrian.