[cvsnt] Lockserver question

Koen no at ssppaamm.com
Tue Jan 11 13:34:07 GMT 2005

Koen wrote:
> Thanks for the fast and accurate response Bo! Highly appreciated!
> I'll go try that now.

Right. Just tried that and now I have a new test repository. The config
file looks indeed a bit different now, and I see how it should work now.
I set it as follows:
    SystemAuth=no
    LockServer=localhost:2402
All other lines are left commented out.

But... I get the same error which has prevented me from using CVSNT for
a couple of weeks now (both with this newly created repository as with
my older repositories which had never given troubles before upgrading to
2.x):

-------------
In D:\Koen\Temp: "E:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-q" "checkout"
"-P" "module"
CVSROOT=:pserver:adminuser at ipem.ugent.be:/cvsTest
cvs checkout: Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password
cvs [server aborted]: Repository directory F:/CVSRepositories/cvsTest
does not exist: Permission denied
Error, CVS operation failed
----------------

I'm really getting a bit worried now... and I think I could use some
further guidance here...

The info:

I'm using pserver protocol on this Windows2000 server, and have 3
(Windows) users for CVS, and each of these is member of their respective
security group:
    CVSAdministrator (only member of the group CVSAdministrators)
    CVSUser (only member of the group CVSUsers)
    CVSGuest (only member of the group CVSGuests)

My newly created test repository is located at:
    F:\CVSRepositories\cvsTest

which is shown in the control panel as:
    /cvsTest    F:/CVSRepositories/cvsTest

The security settings for that repository are currently:
    CVSAdministrators: Full control
    CVSUsers: All except Full control
    CVSGuests: All except Full control, Modify, Write

For now, I have not tightened security for the CVSROOT directory in
cvsTest (I know I will need to do that to be safe, but not right now...)
so it's just inherited from the repository directory itself.

I have created a passwd file in the CVSROOT which looks like this (I'm
going to trust humanity here for a second...):
    adminuser::CVSAdministrator
    guestuser::CVSGuest
    normaluser::CVSUser

so the cvs users are mapped to the Windows users (that's why I have
SystemAuth=no).

The domain this server is controlling is called IPEM, and that's also
what I set as default domain in the control panel (with (client user)
for "Run as user").

Now, if I try to check out a module named "module" (I know, I don't have
any right now, but it does give some info) with any of the 3 cvs users,
I get these messages:

- for adminuser and normaluser:
(see also above)
cvs [server aborted]: Repository directory F:/CVSRepositories/cvsTest
does not exist: Permission denied

- for guestuser:

In D:\Koen\Temp: "E:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-q" "checkout"
"-P" "module"
CVSROOT=:pserver:guestuser at ipem.ugent.be:/cvsTest
cvs checkout: Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password
cvs checkout: cwd=D:\Koen\Temp ,current=D:\Koen\Temp
cvs server: cannot find module `module' - ignored
cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot expand modules
Error, CVS operation failed

So again, as I have experienced before with my older repositories, the
cvs user accoutns that are mapped to the guest user account seem to be
able to get through, while the normal user and administrator don't...
(note: this all worked flawlessly before my server reboot after an
upgrade from 1.11.1.3 (build 66) to 2.0.58d)
I don't get it at all...

Can anyone help me out finding and correcting what could be going on
here?
I really need CVSNT up and running again...
Any help/suggestions highly appreciated!
Please?

Koen