[cvsnt] Re: We have written some new CVS documentation...

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Sat Jan 15 16:10:53 GMT 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> Bo Berglund wrote:
>> Note the policy mentioned in 3.2.3 which goes against cvs(nt)
>> functionality:
>>
>> "we decided to make it a matter of policy to force users to use
>> network drives for their sandboxes, for reasons of security"
>>
>> This is surely not what is recommended by most CVS admins anyway!

> If you want to add a footnote to the effect that this is not normally
> recommended, or something like that, that'd be good.

>From the document:

[1.1] "Note, however, that these practices are what we have come to over
time and may not necessarily suit all environments. Backup and sandbox
storage policy have been strong bones of contention (see 3.2.2)."

[3.2.2] "It is recommended by both the CVSNT and TortoiseCVS communities
that you don’t store your CVS sandboxes on a network drive." (Followed by a
number of reasons for this recommendation, plus their reasons for choosing
a different approach, and a recommendation to not do so unless their
specific circumstances apply.)

Seems to me that they really did a good job of documenting what they did
and why.

Gerhard