[cvsnt] Re: How does cvsnt.cpl check if the cvs service is installed?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Jan 18 17:11:28 GMT 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:47:56 +0000, Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>
wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> Where does it look? In the resgistry or some place else?
>
>It just asks the system for it.
>
>> When I check through the services applet I see this:
>> Service name: CVS
>> Display name: CVSNT
>
>That's completely wrong...  the 58d service won't work with the 2.0.62 code.
>
>How are you installing it?

This presumably was installed when I installed 58d, then never got
overwritten by the newer services so it remained...

I have now done some manual investigations:
In the CVSNT program folder:
cvsservice -u
=> results in error message of not finding service or similar

Then I grabbed cvsservice from the old 58d binaries package and in a
temp folder I ran the same command.
=> result is that cvs was uninstalled as a service :-)

Then I returned to the CVSNT program folder and ran:
cvsservice -i
=> result is that the cvs service installed all right. An the
cvsnt.cpl buttons come up as they should.

When I now look at the service I see that it has been renamed, it was
cvs for years and years but now it is cvsnt. I guess that this is the
reason for the failures I mentioned.

So when running the 62 installer against an existing 58d installation
the uninstall of the service fails because it cannot find the service
due to the rename. And I guess that the install of the new service
fails because there is already a different service served from the
same exe file.

So if the Innosetup installer is to handle this then it must run the
existing cvsservice.exe file with the -u switch before it does
anything else.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)