[cvsnt] CVS/Base Directory?

Merrill Cornish merrill.cornish at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 19 16:41:45 GMT 2005

Rick,

>>> Personally, I think it would be a bad idea

Perhaps, but I think it's a bad idea for CVS to do things behind your back so that you have no idea why it was done or what the consequences are.

If I had needed a restore of the original files early on, these directories wouldn't have helped me since I didn't know they were there until I happened upon them weeks later.  Our CVS admin wasn't sure what they were either.

Is there a "correct" way to get CVS to remove the Base directories itself?

The contents of these Base directories are now badly out of date, so if CVS does suddenly decide to magically help me by restoring them, I'm going to have a lot of files to recover.  (Assuming I noticed when it happened rather than just suddenly having all of my scripts fail.)

Also, the presence of those Base directories is making search-for-file-content searches return double the number of entries--one for a hit in the real directory and one for the hit in the Base directory.

It's a mess.

Merrill