[cvsnt] RE: [cvsgui] Anyone used MKS Source Integrity Enterprise Edition?

Oliver Giesen giesen at lucatec.de
Thu Jan 20 16:21:47 GMT 2005

> However, I believe you have to have access to CVSROOT, don't
> you.  In our case, the CVSROOT is on a dedicated Linux CVS
> server where only the admin has access.  Basically, if we
> can't do it via WinCvs or Tortorise, we can't do it.

You can do it. Just check out CVSROOT/modules, edit and commit.

> Also, in reading Open Source Developement with CVS, it speaks
> as if a module defines a subset of file _in_the_repository_
> rather than a subset of file in the file system.  Doesn't
> this mean that in the most general case you would need to
> have the _entire_ file system in the CVS repository so that
> modules could pick and choose what files they want to include?

Not sure what you mean here. You only need to have the files you want to
version in the repository.

> scattered locations within a single module. So far I haven't
> met a real-life scenario where this would have been necessary.
>
> Unfortunately, it was the _first_ real-life situations I ran
> into when trying to use CVS.  I had created a JSP web
> application.  The JSP files are all nicely in one directory
> tree, so no problem there.  However, the application required
> a dedicated MySQL instance, which, in turn, had a custom .ini file.
>
> Proper source control says that the MySQL .ini file should be
> versioned along with all of the JSP files.  However, MySQL
> requires the .ini file to either be in C:\ or C:\Windows.
> CVS could not handle the "outlying" file.

Indeed. Not without jumping through some major hoops. That's what I was
thinking of when I said YMMV.

> Can the user do it without access to CVSROOT?

Without file-system level access yes. Without permissions on the
particular file in the repository no. By default all users have full
access to CVSROOT though (and have to in most circumstances) so this
shouldn't be a problem.

>  Can it be done
> with one of the GUI interfaces?

As I said: Not with any I know of. But it's doable. All such a tool
would have to do "under the hood" is do a temporary checkout of
CVSROOT/modules, modify, commit and release.

> No need to be scarcastic.

I didn't mean to be. I was merely stating that it should not be a
surprise when CVS does what it's supposed to do, actually: what you told
it to do.

> The problem is in finding out _before_ the merge what has
> been changed.  When would I launch Source Integrity each
> morning, the icons would tell me what files have changed.
> _Then_ I could decide what to do about it.  As nearly as I
> can tell, the main way in CVS to find out what is going to
> change is to _do_ the change.  Even then, the what's-changed
> information is in a mass of scrolled text.
>
> How would you find out what's changed with WinCvs or Tortorise?

Later... gotta catch my bus now... sorry.

Oliver
------
In everybody's best interest, please do not post or CC technical
questions to me in private unless they are specifically about a
macro/product of mine that is NOT already bundled with WinCvs. I will
generally forward my replies to such posts to the CVSGUI list without
further notice.
JID:	ogiesen at jabber.org
ICQ:	18777742	(http://wwp.icq.com/18777742)