[cvsnt] Letting some users only see versions older than date X ?

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Fri Jan 21 11:56:51 GMT 2005

> > I would now like the world to have read-only access to this repository.

> > I had thought about seting up a new repository and importing the latest
> > code from the previous repository as a starting point, so that there
> > will be no "not-GPL'ed" files to check out. But of course, this way, I
> > will loose my complete history of the repository...

> If you create a "PUBLIC" branch from HEAD (where you have the open code),
> then set permissions on trunk and branch such that the anonymous users
> are only able to check out the branch whereas your developers can check
> out everything then it might work.

Another option might be to create a repository for public use, and whenever
you consider the code stable, you transfer whatever is in your private
repository to the public repository. This can be done pretty much
automatically by a script.

Alternatively, you can probably create a commitinfo script that does this
double commit on every commit, if complete up-to-date-ness is desired for
the public code.

In any case, there will be some work that has to be done even if you use
only one repository and a PUBLIC branch. In this case you need to merge or
copy the changes to the branch. I think this is not less work than working
with different repositories, and the configuration is more flexible with
different repositories.

Gerhard