[cvsnt] Re: Linux setup problems

Thomas Keller thomas.keller at inatec.com
Wed Jan 26 09:23:01 GMT 2005

Glen Starret wrote:
 > "pserver" is the name of the server component for CVSNT.  Like
 > CVSROOT, it has multiple meanings. [...]

Hrmm... if the pserver process which runs in the background is
a "general" server component which is needed, then for which
protocols other than :pserver: is it needed?
:ext: with SSH works without a running pserver.

 > [...] All users (admin and regular) are in CVSUsers group.  Group
 > sticky tag is set on all repository directories to keep permissions
 > straight (I don't know what the umask is set to, but it works).  Then
 > I set up an admins file.  I also apply CVS ACL with chacl command to
 > prevent non-admins from committing to the CVSROOT.

This is a nice setup... well, of course we also give only trusted users
access via SSH, but it would be nice to make the CVSROOT somehow "save",
under some circumstances somebody could "accidently" destroy something
and I just like to prevent that.

 >> I don't even know if the build-in access control thing (via readers,
 >> writers, admin and group file) works at all when
 >> not using :pserver: - you can correct me on this point.
 >
 > Those files all works the same regardless of the protocol used AFAIK.

Hrm... do I still have to add users via cvs passwd _before_ I can use
this access control?

--
Best regards | Mit freundlichen Grüßen
	Thomas Keller.

inatec solutions GmbH, Public Key 0x94A5F429