[cvsnt] cvsnt on pc against a cvs remote repository on solarisusing pserver

Christian Kasper christian at kasper.ws
Wed Jan 26 13:06:28 GMT 2005

hallo,

i am sorry, i am desribing my environment not correctly.

i am working in a sandbox on a solaris machine, using cvs 1.11.13.

i want to use this sandox with WinCVS via a network drive(like R:\).

in this case, i think, the option 'Checkout text files with unix lf'  makes
sense (????), because i am working via network drive on a *nix filesystem.

i can see my solaris sandbox in WinCVS but  many, not all, files under cvs
control have a 'Modified' state.

ok, i check these files local in the sandbox on solaris server, the cvs status
command tells me *Up-to-date*.

when i use the  diff command local and with WinCVS, no differences appear.

i try to update -A these  -shown as Modified files-, that solves my problem,
but is this the right way to do it or is it dangerous to my repository??

why these files are shown as modified?

thank you

christian

---------------
If you are checking out sources to a Windows workstation and if you are using
normal Windows tools then it is *dangerous* to use the flag you have used.

The only reason I can see that this would be used is if you need some *ix-based
tool to use the file (on Windows) and it cannot handle the CRLF line endings.

But this is *very* seldom the case and if you check out using this option,
then use a Windows editor to modify the file then commit it to cvs you have
a high risk of getting a file in the repository that has corrupted line endings.
This is probably because there is not a corresponding flag for commit as you
have for checkout so the file will go into the repo with erroneous line endings.

This was discussed at length only a week or so ago. Please search the archives.

/Bo