[cvsnt] cvs update is not updating

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Wed Jan 26 21:45:59 GMT 2005

Siegfried Heintze wrote:

> On the server I do this:

What exactly do you mean by "on the server"? Is this somewhere inside
your repository? Or is this just some secondary sandbox that just
happens to live on the server? While there would be nothing wrong with
the latter, is there some specific reason why you're doing this? Or is
this just for demonstration purposes?

> -bash-2.05b$ cd LifeGoesOm/src/dao/org/
> -bash-2.05b$ ls
> CVS     appfuse lgoesom
> -bash-2.05b$ mkdir LifeGoesOm
> -bash-2.05b$ cvs -d :ext:siegfried at localhost:/usr/local/cvsnt add
> LifeGoesOm

You do not need to specify the CVSROOT string with the Add command. You
are already inside an existing sandbox which already has its own
metadata. If you weren't inside a sandbox Add wouldn't know where to
add the new folder to in the first place.

> Directory /usr/local/cvsnt/LifeGoesOm/src/dao/org/LifeGoesOm added to
> the reposi
> tory
> -bash-2.05b$ cvs -d :ext:siegfried at localhost:/usr/local/cvsnt commit
> -m "Proper
>  directory name to replace lgoesom"

Erm, AFAICT there is nothing to commit yet at that point. You just
created a folder and added it. That does not require a commit. Only
file additions need to be committed. Also, a folder without files in it
will never be checked out.

> On the workstation I do this:
>
> $ cd src/dao/org/
>
> Administrator at fasolt /cygdrive/s/Documents and Settings/Siegfried/My
> Documents/d
> ev/AppFuse/LifeGoesOm/LifeGoesOm/src/dao/org
> $ ls
> CVS  appfuse
>
> Administrator at fasolt /cygdrive/s/Documents and Settings/Siegfried/My
> Documents/d
> ev/AppFuse/LifeGoesOm/LifeGoesOm/src/dao/org
> $ cvs -d :ssh:siegfried at 69.41.164.28:/usr/local/cvsnt  update

Again, there is no need to specify the CVSROOT with the update command.
Update won't work outside a sandbox anyway.

<.snip.>
> Why don't I see the directory I just created on the server?

Because there are no files in it. As I wrote above, empty directories
could not be checked out.

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver