[cvsnt] Import/Export of repository

Giampaolo Fadel giampaolo.fadel at cmz.it
Mon Jan 31 07:58:12 GMT 2005

This is the situation:

I've a project developed in my office with a desktop computer. The project is
under CVS control (the CVS server, CVSNT, is in another computer in the intranet).

When I finish the program I have to copy it (with the source code) in my notebook
and I have to go to my customer to test it.

When I'm to the customer I can't access to my CVS server (or any other server)
but I'd like to continue to have the benefits of CVS (retrieve old version,
create new branch etc.).

Is it possible to 'export' the repository/module of my project in my notebook,
then using the CVS in the notebook (with 'Locally mounted folder') and then
'import' it in the main repository? During my job in transfer I warranty that
nobody touch the main repository.

I found two solutions (never tried):
Solution 1: Brutally copy the repository/module from intranet server to a folder
in the notebook. At the end brutally copy from notebook to main server.

Solution 2: Brutally copy the repository/module to notebook. At the end retrieve
each version/tag/branch from notebook, copy to desktop pc and commit them.

I don't like the two solutions.

Do you have any suggestions/solutions/ideas/comments.

Thanks in advance.

Paolo