[cvsnt] cvs [server aborted] error on commit using WDSC

Robert McCoy Robert_McCoy at acordianational.com
Wed Jul 6 15:11:12 BST 2005

I am getting an error while trying to commit files that located at the root
of the project directory.  I have very little information regarding the
setup of the CVS server (since I was not the one to install it and that
person is no longer working for our company) other than it is running CVSNT.

I am using Websphere Development Studio Client for iSeries to develope and I
am using the bulit in CVS client.  When I choose to commit an object to the
CVS repository, as long as the object is located in a child directory,
everything works fine.  If I try to commit an object to the root of the
project directory (ie, Web Site Navigation, .website-config) I get the
following error dialogue:

Problems encountered performing commit
Website: cvs[server aborted]: cannot rename file
/CVSRepository/Website/,.website-config, to /CVSRepository/
Website/.website-config, v: Permission denied

One thing that I and another developer narrowed down is that he was the one
that shared this project on the CVS.  He has the ability to commit changes
to the root level of this project.  However any other developer that tries
gets this error.  To test this I then shared a test project on the CVS and
he was unable to commit changes to the root directory but was able to commit
changes to child directories.  This leads us to believe there is some sort
of permission setting only allowing the creator to access the root objects.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I need to look for.
If version numbers are needed, I could possibly find someone with the
authority to get that for me.  Any help would be appreciated!!