[cvsnt] Re: cvswrappers

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Fri Jul 8 13:33:49 BST 2005

David Somers wrote:
> When the client sends the files to to server, how are they encoded?
> text/unicode as utf8, binary as ?

Unicode (and all specially encoded) files they're converted to UTF8 for
transmission.

This has a nice side-effect that you can commit with one encoding (eg.
SJIS) and checkout with another (eg. UTF-16).

> BTW, does anybody use UTF-32?

I've never heard of it in use, but AFAIK it's needed for some
far-eastern languages.

> Perhaps the detection code code be put into cvsnt so that binary/unicode
> files get correctly wrapped or throw up a "danger will robinson" message
> -:)

There's something like it in WinCVS.. I'm not really into the idea
myself - some files get easily misdetected eg. PDF files look like
unicode apparently... this just annoys the user who knows what they're
doing.