[cvsnt] sserver protocol

Manfred Moser manfred at cardiocomm.com
Fri Jul 8 17:10:05 BST 2005

Kenneth S wrote:
> Hi All
>
> We’re planning on using CVSNT via Internet but I’m not sure what
> protocol to use.
>
> I guess the best solution regarding security is to use the sserver
> protocol. This way we can have encrypted communication.

I came to the same conclusion and ended up using sserver only.

> How well is this protocol supported by the current CVSNT?

I am using 2.0.58d as well and it works well.

> Does anybody have experience with this protocol?

The only issue I have with the protocol is the missing support for it in some
CVS clients. E.g. my IDE (IDEA IntelliJ - a commercial java IDE) does not
support the protocol and I can therefore not use the build in CVS tools (which
are awesome). There is an issue to get it supported though.

> Is it possible to generate a client certificate and how to do it?

It is handled automatically and you just use it like it would be pserver on the
client side.

> We’re using CVSNT 2.0.58d on server and client, both running W2K.

Same here.

Manfred