[cvsnt] Re: Renaming branch tag??

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Sun Jul 10 08:38:37 BST 2005

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 00:35:43 +0100, Tony Hoyle
<tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> I just realized that an employee has put a *very* stupid name on a
>> branch for a product we make by naming it similar to this:
>>  "Rel_1_2_3_NewProduct"
>> In fact the branch is a main branch for a long series of releases and
>> should be named "Branch_NewProduct" instead. THe existing name causes
>> confusion especially now thta this particular developer has left the
>> company and others are thracing the code.
>>
>> So I just wondered if it is possible to rename a branch tag at all
>> using a cvs command?
>>
>Create an alias branch (cvs tag -Ar oldbranch newbranch), then delete
>the old one (probably after a while so that people have some transition
>time).

I tried this command:
cvs rtag -A -r Rel_1_2_30_MarineLogger Branch_MarineLogger SSReceiver

I expected it to set an alias to the existing branch tag
Rel_1_2_30_MarineLogger and consequently it would be located on the
same base revision as the start of the branch Rel_1_2_30_MarineLogger.

But in fact all it did was set a *normal* tag at the *tip* of the
branch Rel_1_2_30_MarineLogger. Obviously I did not succeed in
creating an alias at all, so the syntax is probably wrong. But what
could be wrong? I used the -A option so it should have duplicated the
existing tag exactly where it was set, right???

Studying the cvsnt helpfile did not help much either. A suggestion
here is to include a syntax description with all cvs commands. Right
now there is no such thing, all it does is list the various options so
one get no idea about a valid command structure....

/Bo Berglund