[cvsnt] Re: Version number change

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Tue Jul 12 21:19:28 BST 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:
> It seems more natural to me... ties in with other versioning systems
> I've used.  March Hare did have some long (sometimes heated) discussions
> about version numbers a year or so ago and this is what we came up with.

FWIW, zero-padded versions will always sort correctly as ASCII strings,
whereas structured versions will not.  For example, sorting as ASCII:

	1.2.3.09
	1.2.3.10

vs
	1.2.3.10
	1.2.3.9

John

p.s. of course I am sensitive to this subject, since I am the author of
the version object module in Perl, which will sort _unpadded_ version
strings correctly (and will be in the core for Perl v5.10.0 as well as
available as a CPAN module for compatibility with earlier versions of Perl).