[cvsnt] cvs chacl, again

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Wed Jul 20 07:31:49 BST 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 01:01:11 +0200, Thomas Keller
<me at thomaskeller.biz> wrote:

>--nextPart2255392.MFZWDgiQmg
>

>If somebody could help me on the issue below, it would be greatly appreciat=
>ed!
>
>On Friday 15 July 2005 17:46, Thomas Keller wrote:
>> I'm playing around with cvs chacl on a Linux box with CVSNT 1.5.01_1976.
>> All my users connect via SSH, I have one repo where I like to give certain
>> users read/write access to certain directories, others only read access.
>> So far, so good. Until now I've managed CVS access simply by entering
>> a user's login name into CVSROOT/writers. Now my question(s);
>>
>> a) Do I need to have an "writers" file at all when I use chacl?

ACL:s will handle all of the permission stuff for you, but you have to
*limit* general unspecified access first. By default all users have
full access so specifying read access for a specific user somewhere
will only add read to already existing read/write, which obviously is
not getting you where you want to be.

>> b) I've tried to gave user "joe" write access to a single directory and
>> read-only access to the rest by doing # complete module
>> $ cvs -a read -u joe -m "You have only read access to this file/folder" .
>> # certain directory
>> $ cvs -a read,write,control,tag -u joe foo/bar
>> Both commands succeeded, but if I test my restrictions the user has still

How could these commands succeed? They do not contain any cvs commands
at all...
The cvs syntax is like so:
cvs [global options] cvs_command [command options] [arguments]

You have only specified cvs as the main call but no command at all...

>> full read-write access to everything. Okay, he's listed in "writers", I've
>> removed him from there, but now he also has no write access to his foo/bar
>> directory. It seems as CVSNT completly ignores the fileattr settings.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong?
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Tommy.

/Bo Berglund