[cvsnt] cvs chacl, again

Thomas Keller me at thomaskeller.biz
Wed Jul 20 09:40:28 BST 2005

Hi Bo!

> >> a) Do I need to have an "writers" file at all when I use chacl?
> ACL:s will handle all of the permission stuff for you, but you have to
> *limit* general unspecified access first. By default all users have
> full access so specifying read access for a specific user somewhere
> will only add read to already existing read/write, which obviously is
> not getting you where you want to be.

So this means effectively I need to remove my readers and writers file
before I can start using ACLs? Are ACLs independent from underlying
system permissions (e.g. Linux file system permissions)?

> >> b) I've tried to gave user "joe" write access to a single directory and
> >> read-only access to the rest by doing # complete module
> >> $ cvs -a read -u joe -m "You have only read access to this file/folder" .
> >> # certain directory
> >> $ cvs -a read,write,control,tag -u joe foo/bar
> >> Both commands succeeded, but if I test my restrictions the user has still
>
> How could these commands succeed? They do not contain any
> cvs commands at all...
> The cvs syntax is like so:
> cvs [global options] cvs_command [command options] [arguments]
> You have only specified cvs as the main call but no command at all...

Sorry, I forgot to add "cvs chacl -a ..." in my post. Anyways, the commands
(correctly typed) succeed, a new folder "CVS" with a file fileattr.xml is
created in the repository reflecting my changes.

Tommy.
--
Ich weiß, das ich nichts weiß. (Sokrates)