[cvsnt] Re: how to access CVSNT across a network?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Fri Jul 22 13:33:03 BST 2005

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:42:35 +1000, Linh Thuy Nguyen
<L.Nguyen at patrick.acu.edu.au> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Sorry I'm a newbie to CVSNT and WinCVS and I got quite confused trying to
>set them up to work for my students. I could set them up to work on one
>single machine (localhost), but cannot set them up to connect on machines
>across the campus LAN. I've read several documents and emails but still
>got very confused. I guess the first step is that I must be able to login,
>but all I got seems to be nothing. (The fish in the WinCVS status bar just
>got stirred up a bit and then nothing happened after that.) Is login the
>right place to start or somewhere else?
>
>Also my next step is to set them up so the students can access the server
>from their homes. Is that possible and how?

Your very first step is to install the CVSNT server and make it work.
Only after this comes the time to get into the client side like
WinCvs.
After you have installed the CVSNT server from its setup you must make
sure that it is started and fully configured. One thing that might
bite you is AV software and firewalls on the server. CVS works through
the TCPIP port 2401 so this port must not be blocked by any firewall
and it must be listening too. You have to check this, for example
using netstat.

Once this is done and you have populated CVSNT with repositories the
LAN connection should be just fine provided you supply the correct
CVSROOT connection string.

Access from home depends on the campus firewall settings, you must do
one of two things:
- Create a VPN tunnel from home to the campus LAN
or
- Open up the port 2401 in the firewall and redirect it to the CVS
server

/Bo Berglund