[cvsnt] Re: "cvs commit -r " problem

Rick Genter rgenter at silverlink.com
Fri Jul 22 19:25:34 BST 2005

> -----Original Message-----
> From: cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org [mailto:cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org] On
Behalf Of Julian Opificius
> Sent: Friday, July 22, 2005 12:55 PM
> To: cvsnt at cvsnt.org
> Subject: Re: [cvsnt] Re: "cvs commit -r " problem
>
> Tags? You're joking, right?

Yes and no. For the scenario cited (code review), I've found that
usually a code review is a planned event and not intended to be
performed on an arbitrary revision of code. In fact, in code review
scenarios I've been in, we've usually wanted to review the code that
went into a particular QA build, for example, for which a tag does
exist.

> Why in the heck would I want to tag every single incremental revision
of
> a file when the automatically assigned revision number is a perfectly
> valid way of doing so?

I have no problem with using an automatically assigned revision number.
What started this thread was someone wanting to override the
automatically assigned revision number. That's something that I (and the
CVSNT developers) have a problem with. If you want something other than
the automatically assigned revision number, use a tag.
--
Rick Genter
Principal Engineer