[cvsnt] Re: "cvs commit -r " problem

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Fri Jul 22 19:47:42 BST 2005

Rick Genter wrote:

> Personally, I like the system that subversion uses: 1, 2, 3, 4 :-).

Theirs ends up like 1,2,24,48,92, due to there being one version for the
entire repository, so individual files jump around a lot.

That's the kind of thing that *might* happen to cvsnt, but might not.
I've still not finalised anything yet (it's a ways off before the RCS
files go.. got to get the directories working first, and they just have
a single repository revision+tag, as they don't have to have any
backward compatibility).

My current preferred scheme is TAG+revision, so you can refer to files
as FOO.1, FOO.2, FOO.3, or in relative terms (relative to the latest
revision), FOO.-1, FOO.-2, FOO.-3.

Whatever happens has to be convertible to something that looks a bit
like an RCS revision number anyway so that frontends like cvsgraph can
make sense of it..  the actual numbers though may look a bit random though.