[cvsnt] Re: Relnotes.rtf is suddenly marked as binary...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Thu Jun 2 23:36:57 BST 2005

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 20:02:50 +0100, Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>
wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> Tony,
>> I just noted that the latest version of /Relnotes.rtf is marked as
>> binary when I update the cvsnt source tree using cvsnt 2.5.01.1986.
>>
>> Was this because you have changed this on purpose or is it a bug
>> somewhere?
>> The file still looks as text to me but WinCvs refuses to do a diff on
>> it...
>>
>rtf files are binary, in that merging them wouldn't produce anything
>sane, plus they can contain real binary objects if you embed graphics etc.

Well, they aren't really binary, they are some kind of text format
where images are embedded as hex data blocks.
It should really be possible to diff those to see what is being
changed (which is what I wanted to do before making the latest
installer).

>You could checkout two versions and diff them (I though WinCVS did this
>anyway, using co -p).

It turns out that WinMerge doesn't like these files even though they
*are* text files. WinMerge throws up a message that the files are
binary and refuses to diff. Even if I retrieve older text based files
and try to diff these manually WinMerge objects, does not matter if I
change the extension to txt either...
But changing diff program to ExamDiff changes this at least so that
the files are displayed. But according to ExamDiff they are all
changed...

So much for using rtf...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)