[cvsnt] Re: tag and branch

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Jun 6 07:47:32 BST 2005

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:10:54 +0800, ray <hanlray at gmail.com> wrote:

>A tag is tagged on a branch, include HEAD, right? If is is right,  my
>question is :
>Given a tag, how to know the tag is tagged on which branch?

No, a tag is a symbolic name attached to *all files* that you tag.
Given that you have a sandbox with a set of files at various revision
states and that you issue the command as:
cvs tag MyTagName
in the sandbox then all files in the sandbox will get this tag name
added to the revision you have in your sandbox.

In a sandbox you can mix files that come from various branches, I do
this rather often whan I want to lock down something.
So a tag name will *not* be connected to a particular branch except on
single files (of course every single revision of a file is on one
branch or another if tou count TRUNK as a branch).

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)