[cvsnt] Re: URGENT: Need to reconstruct sparse tag

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Jun 8 22:54:36 BST 2005

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 14:25:32 -0700, Bryce Schober
<bryce.schober at gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a respository filesystem tree that was tagged from a corrupted
>working copy which resulted in many files / subdirectories missing
>from the tag. How can I find the exact datetime of the tag so that I
>can reconstruct it? I realize that operation could theoretically be
>incorrect, but I'd like to try...

Unfortunately AFAICT tags carry no timestamp, they are just an extra
line of text added to the RCS file header with a revision pointer.
Here is an example from a test file in a test repository I usually
check CVSNT versions on:
head	1.23;
access;
symbols
	Branch_Alias:1.21.2.1
	TestTag_Build_1884:1.23
	Branch_MergeTest:1.21.0.2
	CVSNT_2-0-62-1859-test:1.13
	Tag_for_CVSNT1852:1.12
	Tag_CVSNT2-0-62-1810:1.9
	Tag_Test2_CVSNT2-0-51d:1.9
	Tag_Test_CVSNT2-0-51d:1.9
	Tag_Test_With_1-5-1-32:1.9
	Branch_Test:1.7.0.2;
locks; strict;
comment	@# @;

Next are the various revision text entries.

Notice how the tags are just a list of symbols and the corresponding
revision numbers, no dates anywhere....

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)