[cvsnt] Re: URGENT: Need to reconstruct sparse tag

capaverde at 3ia.com.br capaverde at 3ia.com.br
Thu Jun 9 15:24:59 BST 2005

I have a change log automated script that guess the tag
date using the following procedure:

1. cvs rlog modulename
2. create a table containing all the tags and for each file listed by
   the rlog command, along with the revision number
3. using the same rlog command output, write down in the table the
   date this revision was commited
4. sort the table by tag name
5. delete all the entries in table but the most recent one for each tag
6. the records that remains in the table should be an roughly the date
   the tag was created, provided you have no cases were, for example,
   you tagged some files with tag "A", then with tag "B" and later, other
   files with tag "A" again

At end, your table should looks like that:

Tag   Date
----- -------------------
A     2005/02/28 18:06:44
B     2004/12/30 16:18:24
C     2004/06/15 15:10:50

As I understood from your problem description, you could do something
simpler. Instead of listing all the tags, ask CVSNT to show you only the
tag you are trying to fix:

cvs rlog -S -rTAG-NAME-HERE modulename

It should list all the revisions the have this tag. Look for the
more recent one, checkout or update your module to that date and tag it
again.
Obviously, you can't rely blindly on this method. It will fail if you
have a file revision that was commited before the incomplete tag and
was missing from your sandbox at that moment.

Capaverde