[cvsnt] cvsnt login problems

chuck.wright at comcast.net chuck.wright at comcast.net
Thu Jun 9 17:34:23 BST 2005

I'm hoping this is an easy one...

I'm new to CVSNT and I'm stuck trying to get users other than myself the ability to connect.  I'm not a Windows (or any other system) administrator - which means I'm in a little over my head.

I can access the repository from my workstation with no issues, both from WinCvs and from the command line client.  I'm able to import, checkout, commit, etc., with no problems.  But, I'm the only one who can - other users get the following error message:

"cvs [login aborted]: Authentication protocol rejected access"

Here's what I've got:

cvsnt version 2.0.51d installed on a dedicated windows 2000 (5.00.2195, sp4) server ,
repository: C:\cvsrepo,
temp dir: C:\cvstemp,
protocol: sspi,
CVSROOT=:sspi:<ip address of server>:/cvsrepo

Here's what I've done:

I and my coworker both have logins on the server - same username as on our workstations, respectively,
both of us are members of 'administrators' on the server,
both of us can open a Remote Desktop Connection to the server,
both of us have the same permissions settings on the repository directory structure, e.g. full,
SystemAuth="xx" has no effect (yes/no, commented/uncommented, admin file entries, I get the same result),
the passwd file is currently empty, but adding either one of us, even without a password, has no effect (this I expected),
stopping and starting the service after each of the aforementioned changes has no effect,

As far as I can tell, I have a wide open system at this point (I will, of course, tighten things up when I get it working).

I've tried everything I can think of, read everything I can find, and I'm stuck - any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chuck