[cvsnt] Re: URGENT: Need to reconstruct sparse tag

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Thu Jun 9 17:30:12 BST 2005

Oliver Giesen wrote:
> Glen Starrett wrote:
>>cvs history -T -a -n ModuleName
>

> That will only work if the tag was set using the RTag command, not the
> regular Tag command. Furthermore this will only produce results if you
> query exactly for the module name that was tagged - not if you query
> for a submodule (or even a file therein) or a different, overlapping
> virtual module. On top of that you are assuming that history logging is
> enabled in the first place and that the history file is complete. I
> would guess that admins tend to purge it from time to time when it
> reaches a certain size.

Interesting.  I've definitely noticed the history command is "touchy"
and it's tough to get out what you're looking for.  You're correct about
the rtag operation though -- I have a script that assembles builds for
me and rtags the module (the exact module I queried).  I didn't realize
it wasn't a normal tag until I took a look at my script.

I don't use history much, I guess this explains why :)

--
Glen Starrett