[cvsnt] Re: Various Confusions

buesi buesi at bernbasel.ch
Mon Jun 13 22:28:45 BST 2005

> The protocol depends on your environment. On Windows sspi is safe and
> simple. pserver is simple too. local is only for local repositories
> (local hard disk).
>
>> Is it true, that changing the protocol later on is painful?
>
> Not at all. WinCVS has a macro to handle it in a simple way.

Does the change of protocol only concern the sandboxes or are the CVSNT
options and/or the repository affected too?

>> FYI, I have WinXP on my main machine, where the repository
>> supposed to be. I would like to access the repository from this
>> machine as well as from my Win2k laptop (using mainly the Tortoise
>> CVS client on both of them).
>

> Setup the main machine as a CVSNT server. Then from both you could
> access the repository via sspi or pserver.

I finally managed to do that! I made some mistakes I want to share here
for future reference:

   * WinXP's firewall was blocking the port. I had to allow a exception

     for TCP port 2401, or disable the firewall entirely.
     [Do I need to open port 2402 (lock server) too?]

   * I used the "physical" path of the repository rather than the name of
     the repository on the client side

   * I had to enable authentication. Tortoise CVS requires this.
     In the CVSNT control panel I set "Encryption" to
     "Request Authenication"
     Before doing that, I always got the following error:
     cvs_encrypt_wrap_input failed

I hope this piece of information is useful for some other newbie.

Thanks for your help, Luigi!

-Sacha