[cvsnt] CVSNT Release plans/TT issues, etc. (was: update -A no longer resets sticky tag on modified files)

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Tue Jun 14 16:53:54 BST 2005

> OK, so then 2.5.01.1976 is the latest (and last) stable release from
> the 2.5.01.x line, right? (If so, Bo, shouldn't you make the Inno
> installer for that build available again?)

Yesterday I ran into a strange problem with my ISP. I have used an account
for the CVSNT installer website that says that I have 10 mB of storage
on the webserver and it has worked fine a longish time. I had two installers
there, both the "development" and the "testing" ones.
But yesterday when I was updating the site with bld 1997 I received a disk
quota error message telling me that I was over my max with 6.9 Mb,
allowed is 5.1 Mb....
So I had to actually remove stuff to get the 1997 plus the VSS2CVS
script up there. This means that I can't fit two different builds within
the rather limited quota.

>Am I also right to assume that upgrading the server to CVSNT 2.5.02.x
>will eventually be a one-way street even if I don't make explicit use
>of new features, what with the supposedly new backend and all that?
>Please don't misunderstand me: I would like to see a SQL-based CVSNT
>server yesterday rather than tomorrow but OTOH this still seems a
>rather fundamental change so that there's probably no way I will be
>able to install this on our production server before it hasn't had at
>least half a year to mature in the wild.
>That's why I'm really eager to have a 2.5.01.x release with a managable
>number of known issues until then as that's what I will be stuck with
>as it is...

Converting to a SQL database will mean a lot of changes, for example we
might see ViewCvs go down the drains with the RCS files including CVSGraph...

Also, we need to know what SQL database server(s) will be supported since
we must manage that one as well. We're doing a fair amount of database work
ourselves so I know a bit of what can happen and we would prefer a backend
that we know and work with daily (MS SQL Server).
But then again that is definitely not Open Source so then we have the issue
of weather CVSNT-DB is going to be server-neutral or not and we also have
the issue of database size, especially with binary files being stored....

A really big step, I would say.